In a hurry to complete a complicated looking prop? Only have less than a week until an event and haven’t started? Here is a quick tutorial on making an emergency prop!
The key to quick and accurate prop is to take every step calmly and divide the workload. The exmaple this time will be Syaoran’s Night Staff from Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle.
01. Sketch the outline of the staff head onto the MDF wood with a pencil.
02. Draw a clear outline once you are happy with the shape.
03. Draw in the markings alongside the circular staff head. Prepare the router.
04. Safety First. Wear a protective face mask, coat, goggles, and ear muffs.
05. Set the router to a shallow depth and draw the grooves. (If you don’t own a router, then a craft chisel will work.)
06. Once all grooves have been carved, the head can be cut out of the wood.
07. Attach one pipe onto the head with hot glue.
08. Cut out small strips of rubber or foam sheets for detailing the pole.
09. Heat the strips up with a heat gun or by placing them in a stove. Attach them to the pole once they are hot, but be careful. Wearing a pair of gloves when doing step 9 will keep your hands from being burned.
10. Cut out 3 pieces of the wooden pole and stuff them into one end of each PVC pipe. Join all the pieces of pipe together to get a long pole.
11. Shape a noodle of DAS clay into a ring and place it on top of the staff.
12. Paint the entire prop in black.
13. Spray over the entire prop lightly with gold enamel spray paint.
14. Finish the staff by painting sections of it with metallic black and silver paint.